Dear reader, you probably already know there’s a myriad of tales about a speedy blue hedgehog and his fight against a rotund scientist.  Sometimes he’s a freedom fighter, trying to help regain control of a dark, polluted world.  Sometimes, he’s just a guy looking for adventure who occasionally saves the world.

 

But, what if there is nothing to fight?  What if he lived in a more or less peaceful world?  Would he be blissfully unaware of his potential?  Or would he dream of a more exciting world, or remember…

 

*

 

Unfamiliar Memories

Prologue: Enter Alice

By Chibi-chan

 

*

 

Moving day, part two.  The blue teenage hedgehog never enjoyed this part, especially since he was old enough to actually help set things up.  He didn’t enjoy the packing up, for that matter.  Something he liked was always left behind.  A teddy bear when he was six, a really cool RC car when he was twelve, and he was sure he had left his favorite CD back at the old place.  Maybe I should just not be attached to stuff, he thought.  Another thought.  That’d be freedom, all right.  Nothing to hold you down, just go wherever the wind takes you…

 

He shook his head.  Meh, I’ve seen enough of the world already.  God, does dad fancy himself Indiana-freaking-Jones or something?  The mental image of an older, lighter blue hedgehog with a fedora and a whip came to him, causing him to snicker.

 

The same older hedgehog—sans fedora and whip, of course—came out of the apartment building and called to him.  “Maury!  Was that the last box outta the car?”

 

“Yeah, dad!” the boy called back.  “Maury”.  Short for “Maurice”.  He hated that name.  Besides the fact that it wasn’t “cool”, it just never felt right to him.  But then again, what would you expect from come from a couple named “Roland” and “Aleena”?  Sonic?  Sonic…  That’d be better than “Maury” any day, he thought.

 

“Son?  Are you going to stand outside all day, or are you going to help set up inside?” his father—Roland, not Aleena, of course—asked.

 

“If those are my only choices, I think I’ll stand around all day,” Maury quipped.

 

Roland laughed.  “Thought you’d say that, but I’m afraid that’s not an option, wiseguy.  Make sure the doors are locked and come upstairs, got that?”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” the boy said with a wave of his hand.  He went through the motions of checking the cars doors to see if they were locked as his dad retreated back inside the building.  The moment the door shut, he stopped, turned around, and leaned against the car.  Station Square.  Why does it feel like I’ve been here before?” he mumbled.  He paused, and added, “No, scratch that.  Why does it feel I should be here?”

 

Another thought crossed his mind.  “Sonic…  I like that.  If Virgil Hawkins can get away with calling himself Static, why the heck can’t I be Sonic?”  He grinned.  “Sonic!  From today on, I’m Sonic, and that’s that!” he proclaimed, despite the odd looks he got from the neighbors.  He reached to turn on some victory music, until he realized…

“Damn it!  Where’s my MP3 player?!”

 

Moving day.  Whether if be moving in or moving out, it still sucked for him.  But such was the life of a rather ordinary hedgehog who called himself Sonic.